Skip to main content

Delicious Sour Cream Banana Bread

Hola friends!

Can you ever have to much pasta or bread... asking for a friend.

So I go through banana phases where all I want for a snack is a banana. After a week I burn myself out and I end up with a few stragglers that never got eaten.

As I was paging through my recipe book this morning I came across my Great Grandma Dorothy's Sour Cream Banana Bread. I thought to myself "Is this God telling me to use those 3 browning bananas on my counter that have been eyeing me the last 4 days??"

Since it snowing out (whats's new) and since calving season is approaching I'm stuck to the farm house and the barn. So I figured why not whip up a batch in the few hours I have between calf checks and get those guys used up. So that is what went down after chores.



I first mash my bananas on a plate with a fork. I have learned to not "puree" them, leave some chunks. From there I cream together the sour cream and sugar. After that is done I add 2 eggs and mix.



In another bowl I combine the flour (see note below), baking soda, and salt.


You are then going to combine the wet and dry ingredients. DON'T over mix, its OK if there is lumps! If you over mix the batter it will result in a dense rubbery loaf instead of a soft and tender one.
After batter is mixed you can add pecans or walnuts. I added fresh Georgia Pecans that my cousin Kathy sent back with my Ma and Grandma when they were down there.


From there you bake this bad boy at 350 for 1 hour 15-20 mins or till tester comes out clean.


I had a hard time tracking down the official copy of the recipe card but I finally found this gem! It is so comforting to hold these pieces of history and know that it was in your great grandmas kitchen being held in her hands at some point. Can I have a time machine please? 


Recipe
1 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups flour (use more flour add 1/2 cup)
1/2 tsp salt
3 ripe bananas (see notes below)
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 tsp vanilla

Mix together sugar and sour cream. Blend in eggs. Add baking soda, flour, and salt (mix together). Stir in bananas, nuts and vanilla. Mix well bake at 350 for 1 hour and 15-20 mins. This batch fills 1 regular bread loaf pan.


Notes:
1. I found Wheat Montana flour at Walmart and have fallen in love with it! Here is a little about the company on the back of the bag. 

2. There is Bronze Chief and a Prairie Gold bag. Bronze Chief is made with Hard Red Spring Wheat while the Prairie Gold is make with Hard White Spring Wheat.
According to their website it states "Nutritionally both the Hard Red Spring and Hard White Spring varieties that we grow are the same. Basically the difference is in the end product: Breads made with Hard Red Wheat is darker and denser (more of a brown traditional look). Items made with Hared White Wheat "look a little more like white bread". They bake up a beautiful golden color and do not possess the stronger taste associated with the traditional whole wheat breads."

3. I love this brand of flour because its just ground up wheat. There is nothing added, unlike the enriched flours. I feel its a reasonable price for a 5 lbs bag (I purchase it at Walmart in the baking section with the specialty flour section). I feel the texture is 'softer' and makes super nice doughs. Its a plus that everything from start to finish are all done on the same farm!

4. If you don't have 3 bananas don't panic! You can substitute 1-2 bananas for smashed up peaches or pears. I use those little cups of fruit if I am in a bind. I always buy the organic brand our grocery store carries because its just the fruit, fruit juice, and citric acid. All the other brands have added sugar, yuck!!



I hope this inspires you to be lazy and leave those bananas a few days longer just to make this delicious bread!



Until next time, happy baking my friends!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cast Iron Care

Hola friends! Continuing on with my favorite kitchen items and how to care for them I'm super pumped to talk about Cast Iron care. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- But it is not easy or  convenient I acquired my 1st skillet when I was in college. I believe it was a Christmas present from my parents. I was defiantly intimidated by it because it came with rules! What pan has rules like it has to be "seasoned" before you use it or that you can't use soap in it?? Everything about this pan just sounded complicated. We had one at the farm when I was growing up. My parents used it all the time. But me being that lazy college kid I didn't feel the need to use it when I had the cheapy Teflon non stick pans that did the job just fine.  Come to find out Teflon isn't the greatest for your health... it can leach icky things into your food when you cook on high hea

How to make Spoon Butter

Hola friends! I figured I'd start my blog off with my favorite kitchen items and how to care for them. So stay tuned for up coming Kitchen Care posts. Today I wanna cover wood and the importance of it in the Kitchen.  --------------------------------------------------------------------------- I can describe the modern kitchen with one word. Plastic. Almost everything we come into contact with has plastic. We now have plastic bowls, cutting boards, food containers, utensils, cups.. the list goes on and on. What happened to good old fashioned glass, wood, and metal?  Lately, I've been trying to get rid of that junk because they do nothing for me. Give me a good cast iron skillet and a wood spoon and I'll be one happy gal. I absolutely love the idea of hand me down and anything vintage! When I acquire a new used kitchen tool (you can find a bunch of things at a second hand store or just ask your relatives, they always seem to be giving things away) I can'

Simple Homemade Laundry Detergent Powder

Hola friends! Ya know that amazing feeling when all the laundry is washed folded and put away, yeah me neither! I'm going to do a three part series that will cover laundry detergent powder and liquid versions, dryer sheets/ dryer balls, and softener/ vinegar rise. After becoming aware of all the junk that was in my every day products I started to do some research to find alternatives.  One of the first things I wanted to changed was my laundry detergent. I couldn't find one that was 'clean' and didn't have fragrance in it, so I decided to make my own. As my Dad always says if you want something done right, do it yourself! I have been making my own laundry detergent for over a year now. I have been very pleased with how it has worked! It is gentle and doesn't irritate my skin (see notes below) but is tough enough to cut through all the grease, grim, and dirt that gets on my farm clothes and my boyfriends shop clothes. The recipe is super ea