Skip to main content

How To Clean Produce- Fruit and Veggie Wash

Hola friends!


Lets talk some fruit and veggies! 


 If I get the opportunity to buy organic food, I often times take it. For the simple reason is there is often times less ingredients and they are normally cleaner (as in less processed/ preservatives). 

I live in a tiny rural town in North Dakota that has a population of about three thousand, so our grocery store is pretty small. I will give them props because they are getting more and more organic options all the time! But when it comes to fruit and veggies its slim pickins.

Have you ever heard of the Dirty Dozen and Clean 15?
  The Environmental Working Group (EWG) release an annual list of foods with the most pesticide residue aka Dirty Dozen. On the flip side they also have a Clean 15 List which are foods that tend to have the least pesticide residues.

Now, if you are in my position and can't buy organic fruit and veggies all the time, I have a trick for you!

So whats the purpose for a fruit and veggie wash??
It is to help remove pesticides, wax, dirt, bacteria,  and other residues that are on your produce. Its pretty crazy to think about what can be on your apples from Mexico or your bananas from Africa.

How do you make the wash?
Its super easy. I just wash my sink and fill it with cool water. Then add a quarter to a half a cup of vinegar (can be apple cider or white), a teaspoon of baking soda, and a few drops of lemon essential oil. Let it soak for 10 mins, I normal stir it a few times. Drain the sink and I normally rinse everything off then store in the fridge. Talk about SIMPLE.

The biggest difference I have noticed with doing this wash is that the produce seems to stay fresh longer! Which is a win win because produce is expensive here in our little town.

I'm not a huge fan of plastic but these produce keepers from Princess House are awesome for keeping things fresh. I like how the bottom can come off and you can use the container like a strainer. There is also a vent on the side you can open and close for certain produce.

Make sure you give your fruits and veggies some lovin'!


Until next time, happy trails my friends!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cast Iron Care

Hola friends! Continuing on with my favorite kitchen items and how to care for them I'm super pumped to talk about Cast Iron care. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- But it is not easy or  convenient I acquired my 1st skillet when I was in college. I believe it was a Christmas present from my parents. I was defiantly intimidated by it because it came with rules! What pan has rules like it has to be "seasoned" before you use it or that you can't use soap in it?? Everything about this pan just sounded complicated. We had one at the farm when I was growing up. My parents used it all the time. But me being that lazy college kid I didn't feel the need to use it when I had the cheapy Teflon non stick pans that did the job just fine.  Come to find out Teflon isn't the greatest for your health... it can leach icky things into your food when you cook on high hea

How to make Spoon Butter

Hola friends! I figured I'd start my blog off with my favorite kitchen items and how to care for them. So stay tuned for up coming Kitchen Care posts. Today I wanna cover wood and the importance of it in the Kitchen.  --------------------------------------------------------------------------- I can describe the modern kitchen with one word. Plastic. Almost everything we come into contact with has plastic. We now have plastic bowls, cutting boards, food containers, utensils, cups.. the list goes on and on. What happened to good old fashioned glass, wood, and metal?  Lately, I've been trying to get rid of that junk because they do nothing for me. Give me a good cast iron skillet and a wood spoon and I'll be one happy gal. I absolutely love the idea of hand me down and anything vintage! When I acquire a new used kitchen tool (you can find a bunch of things at a second hand store or just ask your relatives, they always seem to be giving things away) I can'

Simple Homemade Laundry Detergent Powder

Hola friends! Ya know that amazing feeling when all the laundry is washed folded and put away, yeah me neither! I'm going to do a three part series that will cover laundry detergent powder and liquid versions, dryer sheets/ dryer balls, and softener/ vinegar rise. After becoming aware of all the junk that was in my every day products I started to do some research to find alternatives.  One of the first things I wanted to changed was my laundry detergent. I couldn't find one that was 'clean' and didn't have fragrance in it, so I decided to make my own. As my Dad always says if you want something done right, do it yourself! I have been making my own laundry detergent for over a year now. I have been very pleased with how it has worked! It is gentle and doesn't irritate my skin (see notes below) but is tough enough to cut through all the grease, grim, and dirt that gets on my farm clothes and my boyfriends shop clothes. The recipe is super ea