Skip to main content

About Me


Hola!

So glad you found your way to my little blog.
So here’s a little bit about me.


My name is Nikki. I am from a little town in North Dakota called Rugby, which is also the geographic center of North America. I wouldn't change growing up in North Dakota for anything. I have a younger brother and we grew up running around barefoot outside, building extravagant tree houses, and being pulled by the four wheeler in the orange wagon on the "roller coaster". I loved my childhood. It was awesome to say the least and filled with so many memories of playing with my cousins and best friend.



I was raise on a farm just a little ways outside of town. I grew up working right along side my dad. I remember the first time I got to drive the tractor, I was 5 and couldn't reach the petals. It was exciting but scary at the same time. Ever since I was 5 I have said I want to be a farmer when I get big. Well 18 years later I can proudly say I hold an active roll on our family farm. I graduated high school in '14 and I went to college for Farm and Ranch management and graduated in '16. That spring I moved back home and was able to increase my cattle herd. Animals are seriously my life!!


I have not only learned hard work and craftsmanship from my Dad, my Ma has played a large roll herself. When my brother and I were younger she worked a full time job, juggled 2 kids, helped my dad on the farm, and was able to keep the house from burning down. There did come a time where she was able to quit her job and be a stay at home mom which was awesome because we got to see her more. I clearly didn't get her "improvise cooking skills" gene... I don't know what she does to her cooking but everything tastes so good and it doesn't even have to be anything "fancy" either. That and her baking skills are on point! I have been able to pick up on a lot of things on that side!


Not only are my parents a huge part of shaping my life but I have found a deeper love and connection to Jesus since moving back home. I'm not sure what clicked while I was in college but a light bulb sure came on sure. I now attend bible study which I never thought I would be "that person" but honestly I wish more people would come because it is so informative. I am the youngest of the group by at lest 20 years I'd say, which is so sad. We need Jesus in our life and in my eyes our society is defiantly starting to show why because we are defiantly a wreck.


The most recent life discoveries have been essential oils, healing the body naturally, and "homestading" skills . I am in no means an expert but as my cousin says "I know enough to be dangerous" haha. I seriously have a passion for this line of work that I didn't even know I had. I am constantly finding new things to incorporate into my life and other swaps I can make to better my life and the people around me. A large majority of this blog that I dedicate my time to, I want to inform people of simple yet life changing hacks. We rely so much on stores and quick fixes that we are forgetting the bigger picture.


All in all I'm just a young gal with an old soul that is loving life.
But more than anything I love God.
And in this season I am learning how good and gracious He is regardless of what adventures are going on in my life.


Much Love XoXo
Nikki Atkinson

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cast Iron Care

Hola friends! Continuing on with my favorite kitchen items and how to care for them I'm super pumped to talk about Cast Iron care. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- But it is not easy or  convenient I acquired my 1st skillet when I was in college. I believe it was a Christmas present from my parents. I was defiantly intimidated by it because it came with rules! What pan has rules like it has to be "seasoned" before you use it or that you can't use soap in it?? Everything about this pan just sounded complicated. We had one at the farm when I was growing up. My parents used it all the time. But me being that lazy college kid I didn't feel the need to use it when I had the cheapy Teflon non stick pans that did the job just fine.  Come to find out Teflon isn't the greatest for your health... it can leach icky things into your food when you cook on high hea

How to make Spoon Butter

Hola friends! I figured I'd start my blog off with my favorite kitchen items and how to care for them. So stay tuned for up coming Kitchen Care posts. Today I wanna cover wood and the importance of it in the Kitchen.  --------------------------------------------------------------------------- I can describe the modern kitchen with one word. Plastic. Almost everything we come into contact with has plastic. We now have plastic bowls, cutting boards, food containers, utensils, cups.. the list goes on and on. What happened to good old fashioned glass, wood, and metal?  Lately, I've been trying to get rid of that junk because they do nothing for me. Give me a good cast iron skillet and a wood spoon and I'll be one happy gal. I absolutely love the idea of hand me down and anything vintage! When I acquire a new used kitchen tool (you can find a bunch of things at a second hand store or just ask your relatives, they always seem to be giving things away) I can'

Simple Homemade Laundry Detergent Powder

Hola friends! Ya know that amazing feeling when all the laundry is washed folded and put away, yeah me neither! I'm going to do a three part series that will cover laundry detergent powder and liquid versions, dryer sheets/ dryer balls, and softener/ vinegar rise. After becoming aware of all the junk that was in my every day products I started to do some research to find alternatives.  One of the first things I wanted to changed was my laundry detergent. I couldn't find one that was 'clean' and didn't have fragrance in it, so I decided to make my own. As my Dad always says if you want something done right, do it yourself! I have been making my own laundry detergent for over a year now. I have been very pleased with how it has worked! It is gentle and doesn't irritate my skin (see notes below) but is tough enough to cut through all the grease, grim, and dirt that gets on my farm clothes and my boyfriends shop clothes. The recipe is super ea