Skip to main content

Crunchy Molasses Dijon Mustard Glazed Chicken

Hola friends!

Do you have one of those fancy dutch ovens that never gets used? I was gifted one from my Ma a while back and have been looking for ways to use it. 


So I know this gal that raises organic chickens around my neck of the woods and I was able to purchase 2 before they were all spoken for this past year. They are the best I've ever had for home grown ones and man are they huge! I started thawing this bad boy out on on Monday so it would be ready by Wednesday. In the mean time I started looking at different ideas for how to make it.

I came across 2 separate recipes one for a garlic chicken and the other for a molasses one. They both sounded delicious, so why not combine them. Ya got to be a little adventurous in the kitchen right?

I didn't have a pot big enough for my two ton chicken... the thing weighted 7 1/4 pounds! So I grabbed my dutch oven to see if that would work and by golly it was a tight squeeze but it fit. I recently make a loaf of Artisan Bread in it so I thought why not try a chicken!

It tuned out delicious and was super easy to clean up! The skin was super crunchy and had a sweet yet salty taste. The meat was moist and fell off the bone. No one likes dry chicken..

All you need is the following:
Ingredients
  • 1 Whole chicken- thawed
  • 2 Tbs Minced Garlic
  • 1 Large Apple (optional)
  • 2 Tbs Butter
Glaze
  • 1/4 cup Molasses
  • 1/2 Tbs Dijon Mustard
  • 1 tsp Minced Garlic
  • 1 tsp Black Pepper
  • 1/2 tsp Salt


Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Coat inside of dutch oven with cooking butter/ grease.

3. Place 1/2 the garlic in the bottom of the pot followed by the chicken.

4. Stuff the apple inside the chicken (again its optional) and sprinkle remaining seasonings on top of the chicken.

5. Cover with lid and cook for 1 1/2-2 hours, checking temp ever 15 mins after the first hour. You are looking for the temp to reach 160 degrees.

6. Once the chicken has reached 160 degrees, you can make your glaze.

7. Combine all glaze ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together and brush or spoon it on the chicken.

8. Bake an additional 20-30 minutes uncovered to let the glaze cook in and allow the skin to crisp up.

9. Remove and let sit for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.

10. If you are feeling really adventurous you can save all the bones/ cartilage pieces 


We paired this with green beans sauteed in butter, garlic, and bacon bits. You could also make mashed potatoes and gravy, or a pasta salad!


I hope you and your family enjoy this super simple yet very filling meal.

Until next time, happy trails my friends!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cast Iron Care

Hola friends! Continuing on with my favorite kitchen items and how to care for them I'm super pumped to talk about Cast Iron care. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- But it is not easy or  convenient I acquired my 1st skillet when I was in college. I believe it was a Christmas present from my parents. I was defiantly intimidated by it because it came with rules! What pan has rules like it has to be "seasoned" before you use it or that you can't use soap in it?? Everything about this pan just sounded complicated. We had one at the farm when I was growing up. My parents used it all the time. But me being that lazy college kid I didn't feel the need to use it when I had the cheapy Teflon non stick pans that did the job just fine.  Come to find out Teflon isn't the greatest for your health... it can leach icky things into your food when you cook on high hea

How to make Spoon Butter

Hola friends! I figured I'd start my blog off with my favorite kitchen items and how to care for them. So stay tuned for up coming Kitchen Care posts. Today I wanna cover wood and the importance of it in the Kitchen.  --------------------------------------------------------------------------- I can describe the modern kitchen with one word. Plastic. Almost everything we come into contact with has plastic. We now have plastic bowls, cutting boards, food containers, utensils, cups.. the list goes on and on. What happened to good old fashioned glass, wood, and metal?  Lately, I've been trying to get rid of that junk because they do nothing for me. Give me a good cast iron skillet and a wood spoon and I'll be one happy gal. I absolutely love the idea of hand me down and anything vintage! When I acquire a new used kitchen tool (you can find a bunch of things at a second hand store or just ask your relatives, they always seem to be giving things away) I can'

Simple Homemade Laundry Detergent Powder

Hola friends! Ya know that amazing feeling when all the laundry is washed folded and put away, yeah me neither! I'm going to do a three part series that will cover laundry detergent powder and liquid versions, dryer sheets/ dryer balls, and softener/ vinegar rise. After becoming aware of all the junk that was in my every day products I started to do some research to find alternatives.  One of the first things I wanted to changed was my laundry detergent. I couldn't find one that was 'clean' and didn't have fragrance in it, so I decided to make my own. As my Dad always says if you want something done right, do it yourself! I have been making my own laundry detergent for over a year now. I have been very pleased with how it has worked! It is gentle and doesn't irritate my skin (see notes below) but is tough enough to cut through all the grease, grim, and dirt that gets on my farm clothes and my boyfriends shop clothes. The recipe is super ea