Skip to main content

How to make Spoon Butter

Hola friends!

I figured I'd start my blog off with my favorite kitchen items and how to care for them. So stay tuned for up coming Kitchen Care posts.
Today I wanna cover wood and the importance of it in the Kitchen. 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------


I can describe the modern kitchen with one word. Plastic.

Almost everything we come into contact with has plastic. We now have plastic bowls, cutting boards, food containers, utensils, cups.. the list goes on and on. What happened to good old fashioned glass, wood, and metal? 


Lately, I've been trying to get rid of that junk because they do nothing for me. Give me a good cast iron skillet and a wood spoon and I'll be one happy gal. I absolutely love the idea of hand me down and anything vintage! When I acquire a new used kitchen tool (you can find a bunch of things at a second hand store or just ask your relatives, they always seem to be giving things away) I can't help but get excited. They seem to carry a special vibe, and as I stir, mix, and mash I can't help but wonder who held the handles before I did and what sort of meals they made.

Now don't get me wrong in my cheapy college days I would take anything and everything that would help save a buck. But as I have grown I now have an understanding of how plastic can be detrimental to not only our health but the planet. These days, I'd rather invest in high quality tools that last,  not the Made in China chinsy junk. I'm not a fan of our generations throwaway mentality so I'm happy to pay more for quality items that will last my life time and hopefully future generations to come. 

I was gifted my first cast iron skillet when I was in college. It didn't get used a whole lot because I didn't know the tricks to the trade. But fast forward 4 years that is all I use. I have also acquired 3 more smaller sized skillets from my aunt, who got them from many different people. My kitchen also holds my cherished wood spoons, some wood cutting boards, a few old glass mixer bowls, my great grandmas crystal glasses, and my Ma's treasured hand me down KitchenAid mixer just to name a few.

Cast iron and wood that are taken care of get better with age. Traditional- style tools generally require minimal care, and with a bit of thought, they can last generations and avoid the garbage dump unlike their cheapy plastic cousins.

I've been told that wood cutting boards are less safe than plastic ones. However, I recently came across a 1994 research paper wrote by Dean Cliver of U.C. Davis. His published research showed that although plastic cutting boards are easier to clean, they are also prone to scarring, gouging, and knife marks. And bacteria loves to hangout in those little nooks and crannies. Wood cutting boards on the other hand, are self healing to a certain extent. Cut marks are only skin deep, which means there are fewer places for bacteria to live in. So with care I feel completely safe using my wood cutting boards.

Any who, wood kitchen tools don't require much care, but they defiantly appreciate a some moisturizing every now and again in the form of oil or my new favorite spoon butter!


What is Spoon Butter you ask?

Spoon butter, wood butter, or cutting board cream is just a mixture of oil and beeswax. You don't eat it, you use it to moisture and protect your wood boards, spoons, and handles. When applying this butter it will prolong their life and prevent cracking or splitting.

You can make your spoon butter out of mineral oil, coconut oil, or walnut oil. Just be sure to skip oils like olive or vegetable since they can go rancid.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Homemade Spoon Butter Recipe
You will need:
2 Tbs beeswax pellets (I got mine from Amazon)
6 Tbs unrefined coconut oil

Instructions:
1. Place the beeswax and coconut oil in a small glass jar (I use those flatter jars that are half a pint) and place jar in a small pot or skillet filled with 1/3 of the way with water.

2. Set on a burner over medium heat and stir occasionally until the beeswax is completely melted.

3. Pull jar out of water and let the mixture cool. Then apply a generous layer to your wooden spoons, cutting boards, and wood handles.

4. Let it sit for several hours or over night to give it a chance to soak in. Then wipe off any access butter.

5. Repeat coating whenever they look dull or dry.

Example the middle of this board is dry.

The top part on this one is dry.

I normally do this in the evening so it can sit over night. I add a generous amount and always rub it with the grain. I then wipe off all the extra the next morning.


Your board and spoons will look all new and shiny. I have also noticed my board I have sitting next to the sink has a nice water proof layer after being "buttered." Any water that gets splashed on it just beads up and doesn't soak in. 




---------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTES:

1. To clean wood utensils and boards use hot soapy water and never let soak or submerge in water. I actually just use my hand dandy microfiber Norwex cloth and hot water for my boards. My spoons I just dip in soapy water and use a normal washcloth to scrub it then place it on a towel to dry. NEVER place in a dishwasher, it will severely dry them out.

2. I wash/ wipe my boards before and after I use them. I have 2 boards one for meat and another for fruit and veggies. Not saying you have to have 2 different boards I just like 2 because I normally have meat and veggies to prep for each meal.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd love to hear about your favorite vintage kitchen gadget you own so comment below!

Stay tuned for a Cast Iron Care post!


Until next time, happy trails my friends!✌🏻











Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cast Iron Care

Hola friends! Continuing on with my favorite kitchen items and how to care for them I'm super pumped to talk about Cast Iron care. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- But it is not easy or  convenient I acquired my 1st skillet when I was in college. I believe it was a Christmas present from my parents. I was defiantly intimidated by it because it came with rules! What pan has rules like it has to be "seasoned" before you use it or that you can't use soap in it?? Everything about this pan just sounded complicated. We had one at the farm when I was growing up. My parents used it all the time. But me being that lazy college kid I didn't feel the need to use it when I had the cheapy Teflon non stick pans that did the job just fine.  Come to find out Teflon isn't the greatest for your health... it can leach icky things into your food when you cook on high hea

Simple Homemade Laundry Detergent Powder

Hola friends! Ya know that amazing feeling when all the laundry is washed folded and put away, yeah me neither! I'm going to do a three part series that will cover laundry detergent powder and liquid versions, dryer sheets/ dryer balls, and softener/ vinegar rise. After becoming aware of all the junk that was in my every day products I started to do some research to find alternatives.  One of the first things I wanted to changed was my laundry detergent. I couldn't find one that was 'clean' and didn't have fragrance in it, so I decided to make my own. As my Dad always says if you want something done right, do it yourself! I have been making my own laundry detergent for over a year now. I have been very pleased with how it has worked! It is gentle and doesn't irritate my skin (see notes below) but is tough enough to cut through all the grease, grim, and dirt that gets on my farm clothes and my boyfriends shop clothes. The recipe is super ea